Sunday, December 13, 2015

Let's Talk Disney

I've been wanting to do a Disney post for a while. I sat down about a month or so ago and was going to do a Disney princess ranking but then once I started it I found myself not being able to genuinely dislike any of the princesses and/or rank them over the others. Cinderella, the one I've had the most dislike for over the years, suddenly wasn't so bad. I was torn and found myself unable to finish. So I scrapped the idea of a Disney post... Until now.

I've recently decided that Disney is awesome and the source of all things good in this world (hey, reading the Oh My Disney! Blog does that to a person). So what do I go do? I go and find out more about the magic that is Disney. I find the secrets and stories and little known facts about the company, the making of the films, and the parks. And boy was all of that information interesting. For instance; After Bambi came out, The American Film Institute has ranked “man” as the #20 villain in the “100 Greatest Heroes and Villains” list (I just checked, it still is!). I also learned some behind the scenes things about the parks, like the fact that Cinderella's Castle at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World can withstand hurricane winds up to 90 miles per hour. Some might say I'm ruining the magic, but personally I found it all the more magical. Also did you know there is a secret "vault" that is The Disney Animation Research Library, in Glendale, LA. Very few people who don't work within the animation get to actually see it. Drawings from the early days that are variations of the iconic characters that we know today are housed there. More early drawings are always being added because over the years, things have been strewn all over the place and sometimes sold. Disney is working to find and buy back these missing pieces of Disney history. Evidently, in 2006 the ARL got a call from a museum in Japan who had found some Sleeping Beauty artwork which had been left behind after an exhibition in 1959. That whole article was very interesting and had scans of some of the early drawings. But there was still so much more about the untold stories and secrets of Disney. So I hoped on Amazon and started looking for books. I found some and read the excepts and just had to read them myself. So I did the Kindle Unlimited free trial and got some of the books I wanted. So this holiday season I'm going to have some fun reading about the behind the scenes things about Disney. I'm putting links to things I mentioned below in case anyone wants to look into the magic themselves. For now, Sanders out! (here's a piece of art from my favorite Disney film)

'A Serenade for Lady'' by Michelle St. Laurent

Links!
Oh My Disney! Blog [Link]
16 Beloved Classic Disney Movies Locked Away in their Vault (slideshow) [Link]
Inside the secret Disney vault that is home to over 64 million pieces of animation artwork [Link]
List of Books I Found on Amazon [Link]

No comments:

Post a Comment