Sunday, November 8, 2015

The Beginning and the End

I have a thing I do when I get a new book to read. I flip to the back and read the last sentence. Not the last page, not the last paragraph. The last sentence. I find the last period and follow that string of words to the first period I see followed by a capital letter (unless it's a name then that gets slightly confusing, If it's something spoken then it's when the quotes begin and when they end. ) and read the last sentence. It's weird, I know. I can hear people screaming at me telling me that I spoil it for myself, but you know what, I like what I do and it's fun to see that I have quite the journey from the first sentence to the last. That I have to read to figure out why the last sentence is what it is. It's fun. I recommend you trying it at least once. That's my challenge unto you this time. Read the last sentence of whatever new book your starting this time, before you begin reading. Anyway the books I've got right now are.


An Elegant Solution by Paul Robertson

Last sentence: "It was slow, and terrible, and grievous," I said, "But the end is sure. It's the greatest law of any."

First sentence: Of dust is man made, and to dust man returns.

Back cover sentence thingy: When the rules that govern men are shattered, all you can trust are the invisible rules that govern life itself.

OooOoo... Ominous. Should be interesting. I'm expecting great things from this book. It's historical suspense and involves math, an old family, black mail, murder, the usual.


The Status of All Things by Lis Fenton & Lisa Steinke

Last sentence: Bus as his fingers meet mine, I decide that I'm ready to take the journey, no mater where it might lead us.

First sentence: Not including the little status update blurb thing. I uploaded my status to Facebook, tuck my cell phone away, and try to savor the only minute alone I've had all day.

Back cover sentence thingy: If you could literally rewrite your fate-would you? 

Again, OooOoo... Ominous. The concept of this book is interesting. It involves time travel to and social media. 


Clockwork Lives by Kevin J. Anderson & Neil Peart

Last sentence: They would make plans, choosing where they wanted to go and what they wanted to see for their next big adventure... come springtime.

First sentence: As a blue alchemical glow illuminated the rails, the streamliner came into Lugtown on its weekly run toward Crown City, the heart of the land of Albion.

Back cover sentence thingy: Some lives can be summed up in a sentence or two. Other lives are epics.

I'm really excited to read this book. For one the way this book is printed is just gorgeous, I've never seen a book so beautiful that pictures don't do it justice. I think I'm going to start it first just so I can show everyone how beautiful this book is. Even with the stupid library stickers on it, it's just so pretty! Anyway, this book involves airships, alchemy, clockwork things (duh), lost cities, and rules apparently. So this is going to be all so very interesting. This would be the first steam-punk fantasy novel I'll read so fingers crossed it's good.

So those are the book I'm hopefully going to be able to read and finish before they are due back to the library or before renewal status is up and they can no longer be renewed. I literally just pulled books off the shelves hoping they would be good, I haven't had much time to put some thought into what I'm reading. I would read Swann's Way by Marcel Proust (as I've been trying to since Summer) but I need to have the right mind set for that book and right now I don't, hopefully during Thanksgiving break. Sanders out.

1 comment:

  1. This hurts my soul in unimaginable ways. But, I'm willing to give it a chance. Once.

    ReplyDelete