Sunday, November 15, 2015

Volunteering Can Be Rewarding

Yesterday, I was a volunteer photographer at the Free to Breath 5K in Athens. Free to Breath is an organization that raises money for lung cancer research. Their goal it to double survival rate of lung cancer by 2022. It was a fun experience, and one I would do again. My parents have both done 5Ks before. Dad runs/jogs and Mom walks. I'm not much on running, jogging, or walking so I've never actually gone to one. I liked it a lot. The energy was great and it was fun. But it was fun because I was doing something I loved. I worked with two other photographers. We each picked a spot and worked that area. Among the three of us I'm pretty sure we did alright as far as covering the whole event. As of ten minutes ago, I've reached out to the Georgia SPCA, located about 5 minutes from where I live, to see if they could use my skills as a photographer to take pictures of some of their animals in a setting that isn't so clinical. They had a posting on volunteermatch.org that I answered so hopefully I can be of use. I've got the skill, might as well be useful.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! 5Ks are always really fun to go to, everyone there generally actually wants to be there. It's super exciting even if you're not actually doing anything but people watching. Hope the Georgia SPCA gets back to you with some good news!

    ReplyDelete