Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Broadway and The Tempest

*Caution: Slight spoilers to The Tempest by William Shakespeare*

In my lit class, we are currently reading The Tempest. It's pretty good so far and I find it interesting. However, there are moments when I'm reading the play that all of a sudden a random (or maybe not so random) song from Phantom of the Opera, or another broadway show, starts playing in my head. For instance, in Act III, Scene II, after Miranda and Ferdinand decided to get married, Prospero closes the scene by saying,
"So glad of this as they I cannot be,/ 
Who are surprised withal; but my rejoicing/ 
At nothing can be more. I'll to my book;/ 
For yet, ere supper-time, must I perform/ 
Much business appertaining."
 So for some reason, I hear in my mind, the stanza of All I Ask of You, the Phantom sings,

"You will curse the day you did not do!/
All that the Phantom asked of you!"

Of course there's also the tune that I've assigned to Ariel' song when he lured Ferdinand to Prospero. I did a mix of a couple of the melodies that are constant throughout Love Never Dies, the beginning of Beautiful and the middle of the Prologue of Love Never Dies 

Of course, Les Miserables makes it's own appearance when Miranda and Ferdinand first meet and my mind can't help but bring up Valjean's part in the reprise of A Heart Full of Love and if my memory serves me right, at some point my brain decided that The Confrontation from Les Mis would make a good background track to the play.

I'm pretty sure these aren't the last moments that my brain will drag up show tunes to go with something I'm reading. As for The Tempest, I'm pretty sure something will lead my mind to some other song to play in the background. So for now, Sanders out.

No comments:

Post a Comment