Tuesday, September 15, 2015

About A Year Ago (pt. 2)

About a year ago, I went to my first anime convention. I went to Anime Weekend Atlanta. I went for two reasons, to go TO an anime convention and, this is pretty much the main reason, to meet J Michael Tatum, my favorite voice actor. Yes, I did other things besides meet Tatum, I went down artists alley and walked up and down the aisles for vendors. It was fun. I got a piece of art and a thermos. This story is a long one, mostly because I want to tell every detail and that starts from that morning up until the end of the day and into the night... And then some of the next school day. So... Part 2 of AWA. (For Part 1 of AWA go here.)

So I left off on standing in the autograph line and meeting nice people. This is when I move from my VERY excited texts to what I wrote down last year the day after I went to the con.

From what I wrote down last year (plus some edits)...

9/28/14 
So, I wanted to write this yesterday but I hadn't slept in more than 24 hours. But here it is. 
As I was standing in line waiting for J Michael Tatum to come out and start signing things, I met some people and we were talking about all the shows we watched, what we wanted signed, etc. I was basically dancing and trying to breath. Tatum came out and we all cheered and screamed. It was awesome! I realized I wasn't breathing. So we were there, half way through the line. I was alright until I was almost there. I was next in line, trying to breath. He was right there! I had my stuff out, my phone camera ready. I was finally going to meet J Michael Tatum! I gut up there and opened my mouth. Words failed med and I stood there "dying" for a good moment before I brought my hand down on the table. "Damn it!" I shouted. I popped up, "Oh look I can speak!" I looked at the people still waiting, thrilled that I could still articulate, I looked back that Tatum. "And now I can't speak, oh wait, I can! Hi." "Hi," he said. I cave him my letter that I had worked on up until 6 AM that morning, and babbled out my short story about it. He listened and said thank you. He asked if I had anything for him to sign. I handed him Sebastian's pocket watch. He took it and I looked down at my hands, they were shaking. "My hands are shaking." He said, "Your hands are shaking," he puts his arm over, "Here, put them on my arm so they don't shake." I put my hands down and nearly die. I got lower to the ground. Then it hit me, I looked at him with wide eyes. "Oh my god, you're J Michael Tatum." He sat  up proudly and with a smile, "Yes, I am." I got my now signed watch back. That's when I got overwhelmed with my excitement. 
I was on the ground with my eyes level with the table. He got down to my level and we looked at each other. I slid my Ouran DVD cover over. Still on that same level with me, he uncapped his marker and signed it. I slowly got back up-ish. He got back up and asked me, "And what's your name?" "Cindy." "Well, Cindy, you are adorable." I unlocked my phone and handed it to a staff member. "Ooo, a picture." He said. I came around the table and looked at him. "Can I put my arm around you?" "Sure!" I put my arm around him. I could feel my face smiling and I knew I looked completely starstruck. 'School picture. It's just a school picture.' I thought. I collected myself and threw on my school picture face. The picture was taken and I said thank you. "Aw, you're welcome. Hug." I blushed and got a hug. I got my phone back and got my stuff. "Thank you. I love you. I love you're work. You're awesome!" I said walking backwards. He smiled and said, "Thank you. And for the letter." I turned and finished my exit, trying to breath some more.  
Mission accomplished. I had done it. I had met J Michael Tatum. He was nice, and caring, and awesome, and everything I had hoped and more. So in the words of J Michael Tatum, "It's a good time to be alive!" 
Also, at some point I had babbled to him about being afraid that I'd be standing there goldfishing. He said, "Aww, don't worry. Not my first rodeo." 
So that's my story of meeting the man I call my favorite voice actor. He was super nice and so tolerant of my very excited puppy like antics. This is the picture from that day. You can see that I still looked starstruck.


But that's not the end of my tale yet...

This story will continue in the next post... Up Next: What Came After Tatum.

No comments:

Post a Comment